Thursday, November 10, 2011

Some times you have to eat the roast.

During college and right after, for probably about 7 years, I convinced myself that I shouldn't eat red meat. I didn't like the way it tasted and it was just gross. Please don't think that I'm some sort of angry vegetarian. Hells NO. I love me some meat.

I know why, my mother cooked meat exactly 1 way in the 80s, well done and covered in Kroger steak seasoning. Grey meat with orange seasoning. Several years later I realized that I love cow. Mooing, rare, (Pittsburgh rare YEAH!) cow on a plate. I hadn't yet come to that realization and adamantly swore off anything that resembled beef.

One day I started dating a new fella and was invited over to Sunday dinner. Big Italian family where Sunday dinner was the thing. I asked what they were having and he said, roast. WHAT! I don't eat red meat! Certainly not roast. bleck! I took my dilemma to several of my closest friends. New guy, wanna make a good impression on the parents but I don't eat red meat. What's a girl to do?

The answer? Some times you have to eat the roast. As long as you aren't morally or ethically opposed to the situation, sometimes, to keep the peace and to keep up appearances, you have to eat the roast.

We all have to do things that are unpleasant, hang out with people we don't want to or go to events that we'd rather not. In those cases, eat the roast.


1 comment:

  1. Hehe, I remember well the "sometimes, you have to eat the roast" discussions!

    ReplyDelete