Thursday, November 3, 2011

Weekend recap part 2

Sunday I ran the Monster Dash 5k.

Let's back it up a little, I just started running this year, seriously, in April. I had never ran, not in my entire live, not as a kid, I cried every year when it was time for that damn Presidential Physical fitness challenge. (Thanks Regan). Never in college, ever. This year I decided that I wanted to learn how to run (yep, learn how to run) without feeling like my chest was going to explode. My brother runs marathons dammit, I can run 3.1 miles.

I bought the Couch to 5K app for my phone and started running on the treadmill. The first 5k I finished in 38 minutes (?) back in June and this last one in 32.47. That would be 10.47 minute miles thank you very much!

It was a pretty flat course, down a road and back. The best part was that this was a costume contest with categories for best sports figure, best TV character and best of all... Best Steve Prefontaine. I decided to go as Richard Simmons. Tank top, shorts, sneakers? Sounds like a good running outfit to me!

I should never have a perm, ever... What the hell was I thinking from 1983 - 1992? On the other hand, why the hell did my mother let me have a perm in the 3rd grade?

Back to the race, I definitely beat my last time, but I also got beat by a 70 year old man in Lederhosen and I almost passed a Ghostbuster. While lining up for the race Bob Ross stood next to me, 'fro paint palette and all. Happy little trees... awesome...

Kev had a good time too. There were free sandwiches and smoothies before the race began. Who eats a full sandwich before running? Probably that old dude in the Lederhosen, that's why he passed me.

I finished the races and almost immediately started coughing and sneezing. I spend the rest of the afternoon on the couch with some tissues. How do you catch a cold while running?? Seriously, how does that happen? Thankfully it cleared up by Monday morning just in time to go to work.

Rock on..

No comments:

Post a Comment